Two action questions

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:55:24 -0400

>  Action is very well bedded, and regulated.
> Still on hard play in the middle area, 8 or 9 hammers on each side of
> the note being hit raise (hop) very noticible.

I think the key frame stud is up in the air on these notes.  The stud
may well be accessible only from under the key frame and then only
with a set of sharp long nosed pliers or a spanner wrench.  You will
need to pull the action, turn it down, push the action back in and
check, and do this until it is solidly bedded.

> unless the jack is regulated waaaayyy back, the note will miss.

I assume the wippen springs are regulated, the jack is set so that
when you trip the toe with the hammer at rest you can just barely feel
it rub the knuckle,  Consider the touch weight as a potential source
of information about geometry.  Check the location of the capstan
front to back.  Does it center under the wippen?  Does this action
have wippen helper springs and are they set strong?  IF this is a
Renner action check the spread action measurement (hammer center pin
to wippen center pin) which I think should be about 115 mm(?).  How
much after touch does it have at 'standard' regulation specs?  How
many lead weights are there in the keys?

Without a gram scale and set ups it is not easy to determine if there
is a geometry problem other than the general information above.

It is possible to have too loose pinning at the wippen post and at the
hammer flange which causes the spring to be adjusted to weak to work
properly.

Let us know about up weight, down weight (minimum and maximum) needed
to induce a hammer to move while bumping the action to break static
friction.  Hammer sizes, helper springs,

We need far more information.

		Newton