Bach, Beethoven & Contemporary Concert in EBVT (very long)

Rozan Brown rsbrown1@FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 16:32:01 -0500

Bill Bremmer wrote:

>I had the distinct pleasure of tuning for the very fine Dutch pianist,
>Sebastian Huydts who now lives in Chicago at the Frank Lloyd Wright estate
>Hillside Theater today.  Also in attendance at the both the concert and to
>observe my tuning techniques was PTG Associate Member, Rozan Brown, who is a
>reader and recent contributor to this List and who works as a piano
>technician at the University of Wisconsin Madison.
>
>I hope Rozan will write her impressions of what she observed both in the
>tuning and performance.  It is absolutely true that teachers learn from their
>students and although Rozan was only there to observe a single tuning, done
>in a limited time, I was able to learn some very valuable and practical
>things from her as well.

Hi list,

I really enjoyed my day out at Taliesen yesterday with Bill!  I certainly
did learn a lot from watching him tune the piano.  Believe it or not, this
may have been the first time I've ever watched someone else tune completely
from beginning to end.  I still have some questions for him that I haven't
had a chance to ask yet!  So many different ways to do things in this
profession...

My comments about the performance:

Not having been exposed to much besides ET (just Owen Jorgenson's and Ed
Foote's classes), I don't really have a skilled enough ear to discern the
defferences between Bill's EBVT and ET in a performance.  I certainly could
hear some differences in the few minutes I had to sit at the piano myself
and when Bill demonstrated some intervals and chords for me.  Perhaps if I
heard the same music on two instruments side-by-side.  Yes, I'll try to get
to Chicago!

What I do know is that I enjoyed Mr. Huydts' performance tremendously and
thought that the piano sounded great.  I enjoyed not only the Bach and
Beethoven, but also his own pieces more than I thought I might.

A very nice day - and we even got a tour of the main house and grounds at
Taliesen!

Thanks again, Bill!

Rozan Brown
Associate Member, PTG