Bach, Beethoven & Contemporary Concert in EBVT (very long)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 01:45:48 EDT

Dear List,

I had the distinct pleasure of tuning for the very fine Dutch pianist,
Sebastian Huydts who now lives in Chicago at the Frank Lloyd Wright estate
Hillside Theater today.  Also in attendance at the both the concert and to
observe my tuning techniques was PTG Associate Member, Rozan Brown, who is a
reader and recent contributor to this List and who works as a piano
technician at the University of Wisconsin Madison.

I hope Rozan will write her impressions of what she observed both in the
tuning and performance.  It is absolutely true that teachers learn from their
students and although Rozan was only there to observe a single tuning, done
in a limited time, I was able to learn some very valuable and practical
things from her as well.

Here is the program:

J.S. Bach-Fantasia in C-Minor BWV 906
L. Van Beethoven-Sonata Op. 57 in F-minor "Appassionata"
Intermission
Sebastian Huydts-Second Sonata for Piano (1989)
Sebastian Huydts-"Noël" For the Piano (1997)
Sebastian Huydts-"Six Aphorisms" (1988)

The Equal Beating Victorian Temperament (EBVT) is the Victorian style
temperament that I developed which was conceived for the rehearsals of and
inspired by the 1993 World Premier opera called, "Shining Brow" which is an
American translation of the Welsh word, "Taliesin", the name of Wright's
estate.  It is also the name of the present day architectural association
that resides at the estate, The Taliesin Architects.  The Taliesin Fellowship
considers live music and the piano to be a very important part of their
culture, not just leisure time entertainment.

The piano is a 100 year old Bechstein 9-foot Concert Grand whose action was
recently replaced by Timothy Farley, RPT of Madison.  I am the regular
tuner-technician so he had me do the subsequent voicing and continue the
tuning and maintenance of the instrument.  It is normally kept in the EBVT
and it was also chosen for this performance, not knowing what the music would
be nor having discussed it with the artist.  I only met and conversed with
the artist afterwards.

As has been publicly announced on this List, I will be demonstrating this
temperament and tuning which also incorporates octave stretching techniques
which are somewhat known but not very widely.  They are an important part of
what makes the whole scheme work well.

Unfortunately, the combination of the two cannot be duplicated by any of the
Sanderson Accu-Tuner (SAT) "FAC" programs alone.  Perhaps however, Jim
Scott's Tunelab program or Dean Reyburn's Cybertuner program may be adjusted
to duplicate it.  But so far, the only way to use the (SAT) is to use a
combination of Direct Interval Programming (DIP) and Aural Equal Beating
methods as have been taught by Professor Owen Jorgensen RPT.  I hope Jim
Scott and Dean Reyburn RPT will attend the Chicago session on September 21 to
help find the Correction Figures that will help others who may want to use
this scheme.

Owen Jorgensen's recent article points out two very important facts:  No
temperament or octave stretching scheme is really any "better" than any
other.  They each merely produce differing effects.  The challenge however is
to find the exact combination of effects which will best serve the music to
be performed.  For most of this Century, Equal Temperament (ET) has been
thought to offer the very best compromise for the modern piano which has been
called upon to play virtually all kinds and forms of music.

Only recently has the subject of octave stretching been discussed beyond the
mere thought that stretching itself is necessary because of the phenomenon of
Inharmonicity.  Still, there is an absolute and inviolable "every action has
an equal and opposite reaction" relationship concerning both temperament and
octaves.  In temperament, if any given interval is made to beat more slowly
to create a desired effect, another must beat more rapidly as a consequence.
In octaves, if one partial selection is made for the sake of purity, then all
of the other partials that an octave contains must have beats.

Thus, the conventional wisdom has been that the most even distribution of
beats in the temperament should produce the very best compromise because the
inevitable harshness and perceived out-of-tune sound of an interval of any
kind that beats too rapidly will be not eliminated but *minimized*.

The thinking about octaves has been less specific.  There seems to be more
room for individual interpretation, to do what is best under the
circumstances.  However, there does seem to be the feeling that whatever kind
of octave is chosen, it should be consistently applied but even among ET
tuners it will vary naturally because different registers of the piano call
for differing amounts of stretch.  In my view, an unequal temperament,
especially the kind which purports to serve the all-inclusive intent of ET
can and should have differing amounts of stretch within the temperament as it
occurs across the scale as well as in the different registers, low bass, high
bass, low tenor, midrange, treble and high treble.

There is an important distinction between any of the historically documented
Victorian style temperaments and the EBVT.  It is the Equal-Beating
phenomenon that Owen Jorgensen also mentioned in his article.  Not only does
this help an aural tuner be sure that the temperament is indeed correctly
tuned, there is an important "canceling out" effect that it can and does have
in the historically documented Well-Tempered and Meantone Tunings.

This effect is not at all imagined.  It is as real as the present day
technology you may have heard or read about in industrial situations where
"Noise Cancellation Systems" have been developed.  A noise that is irritating
to the ear is canceled out by producing an equal and opposite noise that
effectively eliminates the perception of the sound to the ear.

Skilled tuners already do this naturally with unisons.  I pointed this out to
Rozan during the tuning session.  The old piano has seen better days, it has
many unsupressible false beats, especially in the high treble.  Since I
always use strip mutes, she could hear that the false beating in many of the
high treble center strings was intolerable.  The SAT also showed a wavering
pattern that could not be made to stand still.  She even looked to assure
herself that what she was hearing were single strings and not mistuned
unisons.  She heard that with skilled aural unison tuning, I could actually
make the unisons *sound* pure or at least much better and tolerable.  Ed
Foote also recently pointed this important skill out on the List.

In the EBVT, I am able to tune the 3rds at the top of the Cycle of 5ths,
those with few or no sharps or flats at about half the size of ET 3rds,
slower but not anywhere near pure or "minimized" as would be found in such
temperaments as the 1/5 or 2/7 Syntonic Meantone or the Kirnburger or
Werkmeister temperaments and even faster than the Thomas Young #1
Well-Temperened Tuning which is usually considered ideal and much faster than
the Vallotti which is a common favorite as well.

The Equal Beating effect makes the chords found in typical music sound just
as "pure" as those of any of the above but since I have not "spent all I have
in one place", my harmony at the bottom of the cycle of 5ths, those with many
sharps or flats, remains below and within the threshold of tolerance that the
modern ear has for what sounds "in tune".  I can therefore achieve the
traditional harmony and tonality of virtually all Western music, please
everyone and offend no one, at least to a large degree.  I still recognize
that there may be some who may not like it but very few indeed.

The Bach piece was one of those that was most likely written for a
temperament in which all keys must be accessible, a true Well-Tempered
Tuning.  It sounded like Bach and while many other temperaments may have
worked just as well, I'll bet that the EBVT would not have offended even
those who advocate only the early Werkmeister or Kirnburger temperaments for
his music.

The Beethoven worked just as well.  Beethoven often wrote many low voiced
chords which sound much too harsh in ET.  In my conversation with the artist
afterwards, he told me matter-of-factly that many pianists drop the 3rd of
those chords because it simply sounds too harsh.  He specifically mentioned
the Steinway piano saying that its sound was too overbearing in that
register.  Now, it is so often said that "no one *ever* asks for anything but
ET.  I have often wondered if these artists know that there is a way around
that problem that they *can* ask for.  If they do not know, *why* do they not
know?

I asked the artist after a few other questions if he noticed anything about
the tuning.  His very reply was, "I liked it!", with a broad smile.  That
should have been enough for me but I went ahead and explained that it had
been tuned differently from perhaps any other piano he had ever played upon.
I abbreviated my description of it as being a "true Well-Tempered Tuning".

After a bit of discussion, he started to remember some of the details he had
heard.  One of them was about the Beethoven and another was something about
when he played in the remote keys at the bottom of the Cycle of 5ths where he
described the sound as "crisp and clear".  He obviously was pleased.  I gave
him my phone number and E-mail address.  I am hoping he will communicate
further and that I may serve him elsewhere as a concert or recording
technician.  I may be able to persuade him to make an appearance at the
session in Chicago if he contacts me soon.

His own compositions were very interesting.  I distinctly heard the influence
of Debussy and Gershwin in his music.  The one impressionistic style piece he
played I would have actually guessed to be Debussy.  The middle movement of
his Sonata I would have guessed to have been written by Gershwin.  It had
both Jazz and Blues textures.  The EBVT has the important feature of the
Small Minor 3rd (and also minor 2nd) which not only worked as the composer
intended in the Beethoven but served as the so called "Blue Note" of Jazz and
Blues in the Gershwin-like section.

The encore was a love song by Edward Elgar in the key of F.  The EBVT gives F
a pure 5th with a very gently beating 3rd.  Just a very nice sound. The piece
began somewhat like a very familiar piece of Shumann's which is written in
that same key.  In the middle of it, it modulated to the more remote and
vibrant key of Ab, which often sounds a bit too harsh in most Well-Tempered
tunings and is the most feared and despised "Wolf" key in most Meantone
renderings although many Historical Tuning enthusiasts enjoy that sound
immensely (as I do).  The EBVT actually gave it a reason to modulate to a
distinctly remote and more vibrant key but strictly and comfortably avoided a
harsh or "sour" sound that might have offended some listeners.

As you can see, I spent a very fine Sunday in Spring Green, Wisconsin.

Bill Bremmer RPT