Brass plated strings??

BSimon999@AOL.COM BSimon999@AOL.COM
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 00:02:22 EDT

Today I saw a wreck of a Schomacker (1935-Philadelphia) grand piano, with
negative pin torque.   The strings were flat brass colored, like the finish
on a plate.  I thought at first the strings had been painted with brass
paint, bass strings included, but very close examination showed the wire
around the tuning pins and over the bridges was dull brass colored, but there
wasn't a molecule of brass paint on the bridges or tuning pins. It looks like
the strings, wrapped bass strings included, were painted with brass paint and
then the piano was strung. The coating was not easy to scrape off, being
plated or painted with a very good paint.   I figured that if the strings
were gold plated they would not be so flat and dull looking.

I would have loved to pull a bass string and bring it home for microscope
examination, but that was not an option. I would bet money that the strings
were not painted in place, it was simply too good of a job.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I was looking at?

Bill Simon
Phoenix