S&S alignment progress report

Ken Jankura kenrpt@mail.cvn.net
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:36:59 -0400

>   Since you say the piano has all original parts we can 'probably' leave
out
>the decal as a consideration :-).............

It turns out it was the decal all along. Someone had scraped off the
original one and replaced it with an aftermarket! :-)

Seriously, though, upon further inspection I made the discovery that most
of the shanks come off of the flanges at a slight angle to the left! Maybe
a worn drill bit or alignment jig in the factory caused this.

  I ended up enlarging the flange holes to the left with a file so I could
scoot them over just a bit. I traveled and spaced the wippens as best I
could, and though the capstans do hang over the edge a little bit more,
they should work as well as they ever did. I took a chance and maintained
the new action position shimmed out from the frame stopblock. I go back to
the piano tomorrow, and my fingers are crossed. I'll let you know how it
works out.

  To answer another question, I don't think anything has been done to this
piano in decades, and that includes regulation of any kind. It either
quickly wore in to this condition or was like this from the factory.

Ken Jankura
Newburg, PA