Paper Punchings Archiac?

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:28:22 -0500 (CDT)

>Two thing to rule this out,  one cost.  Two anything with a screw thread
>is going to move with vibration and become lose over time, where as the
>paper only has to deal with compression over time and is cheep to put
>right.
>
>The system we have may look Archaic but it is tried and tested and uses
>the KISS principle.
>
>Barrie,

Here here! The piano is the strangest combination of stone age technology
and cutting edge physics that I've been associated with, even though I was
never an associate, and have cut myself far more using stone age technology
than I ever did with physics. In the piano, we are bending wires, carving
with chisels, and shimming with paper while we split hairs (possibly hares
in England) to the thousandth of an inch, but we can do it by the
established methods at minimal cost in materials, time, and remedial
education. Well, OK, I lied about the remedial education, but the rest of it
is pretty straightforward. Fact is, anything can be complicated far beyond
practicality, usually by committee, in the interest of simplicity. Given the
choice of an archaic method of adjustment that is relatively stable, over an
adjustment with a slick mechanism, that is more expensive to produce, and
doesn't offer any real benefit in time savings, enhancement of function of
the adjusted part, or long term stability, I would tend to go for the shiny
gadget. Never mind that though, that's a character fault I'm trying to
overcome. The smart move is to go for the simple, elegant, and dependable.
Like Barrie said... KISS.

 Ron N