S&S alignment

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 17:49:32 -0400

Hi Ken,

That is a tough one.

If I have this pictured right in my mind, it sounds like  the hammer flange
rail has the holes drilled in it too far towards the bass.  It sounds like
it doesn't line up with the wippen flange rail, or anything else, for that
matter.  (Whether it was installed wrong, cut wrong, drilled wrong,
whatever, that sucker is in there now.  The way these suckers are put
together, it seems like it would be 'major surgery' to move it, even just a
little, although, I'm sure it could be done.

 I've never seen one that far off before.  Something that comes to mind...
is it far enough off that you could have any success trying to move all of
the hammer flanges up one hole having to perhaps drill another hole in the
treble end of each section? (Not having one in front of me, I can't picture
if there would be room?) Or would that go too far the other way?  If you
aligned the wippens back down toward the bass to be more centered over the
capstans, perhaps moving the hammer flanges to the next hole would actually
be closer to right than where they are now.?  If that wouldn't work, could
the rail be redrilled?

Even if you shift the whole action left or right, it doesn't sound like the
alignments would be much better.

Sorry I'm not much help.  It's definitely a head scratcher!   (But you're a
resourceful guy.  You'll get it.  :-) )

I'll be looking for the responses myself.

Good luck, Ken.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net