decals

Steve Grattan lostchordclinic@ameritech.net
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:45:43 -0400

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 8/25/1999 10:16:10 PM, skline@proaxis.com writes:
>
> << "This assumes, of course, that the FAX was accurately quoted. ">> Susan
> <<"If this fax was official,">> Jim C.
> <<"Don't know about the truth of this decal policy.">> Arthur
> <<"I have seen evidence to back up the possible existence of the so far
> unsubstantiated _fax_ from S&S.">> Dale
> ------------------------------------
>
> Hey folk;
>  I thought I had made it clear that the FAX was 'from' Pierce decals and was
> signed by Larry Ashley and that they were 'quoting' S&S within the FAX.
>  I am enclosing what I recv'd  for any who would like to read the entire
> thingee....and to clear up any misunderstanding.
> *note the only editing done was to clear up scanning oopsies, otherwise this
> is exactly as I recv'd it.
> Jim Bryant (FL)
> -----------------------------
>
>  from:                                 No.                      Aug. 25 1999
>
>  NOTICE
>   We Are No Longer Selling STEINWAY & SONS Decals
>
> STEINWAY MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS, INC. wants to STOP YOU from buying Steinway &
> Sons decals from the dealer of your choice. After three genenations and over
> 60 years of business Steinway Musical Instruments, Inc. filed a lawsuit
> against us, (d/b/a) Pierce Piano Atlas and Decals For Pianos. Steinway's vice
> President and general counsel, Dennis M. Hanson, states in a letter, "Such
> activity (selling Steinway decals) is a clear violation of federal Lanham
> Act, Trademark Counterfeiting Act of 1984, state unfair trade practice
> statutes, and various other laws. Cririnal and civil sanctions of up to $ I
> ,000,000 and/or five years in prison are available against counterfeiters, in
> addition to seizure of
> goods, treble damages, and attorney's fee's". In addition Hanson states
> "Purchasers include piano refurbishers and refitishers who affix these decals
> to replacement piano components not manufactured by Steinway.".
>
> *For more than 60 year's Bob Pierce collected piano decals. Whenever and
> wherever possible Bob added to his collection by buying decals from
> rnanufacturers that "were going out of business. Bob used his collection to
> provide decals for his own requirements in his piano dealerships. As time
> went on, and his collection grew, he began to suppldecals to certain friends
> in the business as an accommodation.
>  Many manufacturers would sell decals directly to Bob in large quantities,
> becanse providing single decals to individual piano craftsmen was time
> consuming and costly. In the late 60's and early 70's, after Steinway & Sons
> had changed the style of their failboard decals, Bob purchased thousands of
> the old stylc decal directly from the Steinway & Sons Company. By the inid
> l970's Bob's collection of original piano decals numbered in the hundreds of
> thousands and he was providing over 1000 piano
> [...]

List,

I contacted Decals Unlimited and was told that this has been coming down
the line for about a year. They (Decals Unlimited) were approached by
S&S and have been licensed to sell S&S decals.  Whatever the problem
with the Pierce people has in no way affected the supply of decals from
Decals Unlimited.

Steve Grattan