Pleyel anyone

Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:18:42 -0700

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Danny BODDIN <danny.boddin@planetinternet.be>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 1999 2:09 PM
Subject: Re: Pleyel anyone

Hi,
this kind of old grand Pleyels are common here in Belgium, just restrung =
one
2.20cm =B01910 grand which belongs to the French embassy here in =
Brussels, the
action can be regulated perfectly, the French stopped this type of =
action in
1936. Uprights have also single centerpins. This pianos have a very nice
warm sound with power in the low diskant, people love them here and they =
are valuable.
I asked kevin Gouldmann from Danmark to make me a new scale for this =
piano,
he uses turbo mensuration Peters Tholey software. Following scale was =
used:
2X13.5   5X14    11X14.5  and very strange going to 3X15 and back to =
6X14.5?
(any comments on this, we had to do some intonation on the 3X15, Kevin =
told
me 14.5 was also ok but he preferred to 3X15 on the figures I gave him
measuring the speaking lengths on this strings) anyway: going on with =
4X15
3X15.5   5X16   4X16.5   4X17   9X17.5   2X18   2X18.5   1X19    1X19.5  =
 1X20.5   1X21  seems that the 17.5 on that part is low in tension??? =20

It is impossible to tell for sure what is going on with this scale =
without seeing the actual speaking lengths, but it sounds like the =
original builder -- Pleyel -- did not compensate for speaking length =
across one of the plate braces.  This is not all that unusual in older =
pianos.  If fact, it is still seen on some so-called 'modern' pianos.  =
Ideally, the bridge should be offset across the scale breaks to keep the =
length progression uniform.  Often they are not.

The piano sounds beautiful round and warm, but not much power/volume, =
but that's what Kevin suggested in the first place, so he know how to =
make a scale,his base strings sound good : I'm satisfied with his work.

Power, or volume, is a combination of many different design elements of =
the piano.  Again, without knowing the speaking lengths of the piano in =
question, it is impossible to tell whether this is a 'low-tension' scale =
or a 'high-tension' scale.  In either case, the stringing scale is only =
part of the equation.  Other considerations are the mass and stiffness =
of the soundboard, its condition (does it have good crown and =
downbearing), its size and shape, etc. the type and construction of the =
rim -- just to name a few.

Personally, I would prefer the beautiful, warm sound over the overly =
bright and harsh sound of many -- if not most -- of the modern pianos I =
encounter, however 'powerful' they may be.

Regards,

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder