Purchase Consult: Kimball 587F 5' 8" Grand

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 07:51:33 -0400

Hi Brian,

I don't have much experience with the newer Kimballs, but I've seen a =
few
older ones.  The mid sized grands that I've seen have been fairly nice
pianos.  Like you said, first impression when hearing the name and such,
yuck, but once you see it, it's not so bad at all...

Our shop did a recondition job on one about 3 years ago that turned out
quite nice.  (The refinisher did a no-no on the bridge caps by spraying
thick coats of finish on them.  Buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz...  Once we =
scraped
things down again and provided a more proper bridge surface, it sounded
pretty good.  Better than I would have expected.)

If the piano is in excellent shape as you have indicated, I would have =
no
problem recommending it to anyone.  It's no...Stei.....I just can't say
it... It's no Bosendorfer, (is it? hmm?)  but it could make someone a =
nice
instrument to play that will bring many hours of enjoyment.

Maybe someone can verify or discredit this, but I had heard some time =
ago
that Kimball did work, toward the end, to improve the quality of their
pianos quite a bit.  From the sound of it, perhaps they would have done =
well
to do the improvements, and establish a new name that wouldn't carry the
stigma that it had for so long.

Just my $0.02

Good luck,

Brian Trout