decals

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:26:33 EDT

In a message dated 8/25/1999 10:16:10 PM, skline@proaxis.com writes:

<< "This assumes, of course, that the FAX was accurately quoted. ">> Susan
<<"If this fax was official,">> Jim C.
<<"Don't know about the truth of this decal policy.">> Arthur
<<"I have seen evidence to back up the possible existence of the so far
unsubstantiated _fax_ from S&S.">> Dale
------------------------------------

Hey folk;
 I thought I had made it clear that the FAX was 'from' Pierce decals and was
signed by Larry Ashley and that they were 'quoting' S&S within the FAX.
 I am enclosing what I recv'd  for any who would like to read the entire
thingee....and to clear up any misunderstanding.
*note the only editing done was to clear up scanning oopsies, otherwise this
is exactly as I recv'd it.
Jim Bryant (FL)
-----------------------------

 from:                                 No.                      Aug. 25 1999

 NOTICE
  We Are No Longer Selling STEINWAY & SONS Decals

STEINWAY MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS, INC. wants to STOP YOU from buying Steinway &
Sons decals from the dealer of your choice. After three genenations and over
60 years of business Steinway Musical Instruments, Inc. filed a lawsuit
against us, (d/b/a) Pierce Piano Atlas and Decals For Pianos. Steinway's vice
President and general counsel, Dennis M. Hanson, states in a letter, "Such
activity (selling Steinway decals) is a clear violation of federal Lanham
Act, Trademark Counterfeiting Act of 1984, state unfair trade practice
statutes, and various other laws. Cririnal and civil sanctions of up to $ I
,000,000 and/or five years in prison are available against counterfeiters, in
addition to seizure of
goods, treble damages, and attorney's fee's". In addition Hanson states
"Purchasers include piano refurbishers and refitishers who affix these decals
to replacement piano components not manufactured by Steinway.".

*For more than 60 year's Bob Pierce collected piano decals. Whenever and
wherever possible Bob added to his collection by buying decals from
rnanufacturers that "were going out of business. Bob used his collection to
provide decals for his own requirements in his piano dealerships. As time
went on, and his collection grew, he began to suppldecals to certain friends
in the business as an accommodation.
 Many manufacturers would sell decals directly to Bob in large quantities,
becanse providing single decals to individual piano craftsmen was time
consuming and costly. In the late 60's and early 70's, after Steinway & Sons
had changed the style of their failboard decals, Bob purchased thousands of
the old stylc decal directly from the Steinway & Sons Company. By the inid
l970's Bob's collection of original piano decals numbered in the hundreds of
thousands and he was providing over 1000 piano
names to craftsmen all over the world. In January 1995, a few months before
Bob passed away, his son larry Ashley moved their small mail order business
to Albuquerque, New Mexico and assumed the day to  day  duties of filling
orders for decals and the  "Pierce Piano Atlas".

We believe it was a ludicrous attempt to try to prevent us from selling
Steinway & Sons decals which were sold to us by Steinway over 25 years ago.
However, after spending severul thousand dollars in attorneys fees and facing
an additional $15,000.00 to $20,000.00 in oost, we signed a settlement
agreement. The agreement is four pages long and includes the following
phrases. "WHEREAS, to preserve the STEINWAY standards of excellence,
reputation and good will, Steinway has decided to limit the application of
new deaIs bearing the Steinway trademark- to rebuild (they meant, rebuilt),
reconditioned,
repaired and restored STEINWAY pianos to those which have been rebuilt,
reconditioned, repaired and restored either by Steinway or its authorized
agents using genuine STEINWAY parts and utilizing approved standards of
quality and crattsenaaship, and to accomplish this goal Steinway has
appointed one exclusive manufacturer of decals of the Steinway Trademarks and
maintains close control over the distribution of the use (they meant, and the
use) of these decals.". In addition the agreement states, "Pierce Piano
agrees to immediately discontinuc all sale of and not to manufacture decals
bearing the
Steinway Trademarks, `unless authorized to do so by Steinway or an authorised
representative of Steinway.".

As agreed, we have stopped selling STEINWAY & SONS decals. If your prepayment
was for more than just Steinway decals you will find a credit certificate
enclosed with your other merchandise~ If your order `was for Steinway decals
only we have returned your payment.

Sincerely

 (signature)                                  (signature)
Larry E. Ashley                         Kimberly Carpenter
(Bob Pierce's son)                      (Bob Pierce's Grandaughter)