Pleyel anyone

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 01:11:04 EDT

In a message dated 8/25/99 9:36:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
kenrpt@mail.cvn.net writes:

<< List,
    I tuned a 1923 Pleyel grand today with a weird (to me) action. I love
 seeing something new.  Stuff like full sostenutos on old uprights (Weber),
 or oddball sostenutos on grands (Henry F. Miller), or unusual knuckles
 (Brambach ;-}) really make my day (one way or another). The client spoke
 limited English, his wife almost none. I think he bought it new in his
 native France. All the hammer shanks were held by a single center pin which
 ran the length of a brass section. Regular hammer shanks inserted into an
 odd-shaped butt, with a non adjustable (I think) T-shaped drop 'screw'. A
 rather large coil spring connected the jack and rep lever.  A large strip
 of capstan cloth kind of free floated between the wip and the brass capsan.
 No glide bolts. Individually tied strings. I was just about beside myself
 with excitement. He wants it fixed for his grandson (letoff had settled at
 about 7/8th inch :-) ). I mimed to him that I should have no problem
 regulating it even though it seems a little odd at first glance.  A 75 ct.
 pitch raise made that old thing really come alive. The sound was rather
 warm and sweet.  I don't remember if this was one of the 'vintage' action
 types on display in KC. If anyone wants to share info or tips with me or
 the list, I'd be much obliged.
 Ken Jankura
 Newburg, PA

Yes, the old ones were something different.  I have a client with a Pleyel,
oblong pins, bad torque, action in poor shape, the old style damper trays
where the flanges are glued to the cavity.   If this is what you are finding,
you are in for quite a job if you decide to do it.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR