Baldwin spinet problem

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:54:36 -0600

Hi Ron,
            Save yourself a lot of grief and order the correct cloth from
Baldwin.  I just recently did the centre section  of a similar model with
the action in the piano.
1. I had the piano on a 4 wheel dolly this gave me an extra 6" of keybed
height so I could work cross legged sitting on the floor.
2. Cut enough pieces of felt about 1" long.
3. Remove old bushing cloth.
4. Fold the felt around the centre pin.
5. A little dab of glue with a tooth pick at the rear of the cloth.
6. Pop the sticker and bushing back into the wippen yoke.
7. Trim the excess cloth with a razor knife.

I spent about 2hrs messing around, and figureing out how to get organised .
The actual job only took about 40mins. You know when you are sucessfull
when the pin drops in with a click.
Since we do a lot of key bushings we always have at least 5 thicknesses of
bushing cloth in stock, so we had the luxury of trial and error.  But I
think it was Pianotech's thick that I used.
Hope this helps.
Roger

At 07:53 PM 25/08/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi all -
>
>Went to a new customer today and ran into a problem.  This spinet from the
>mid-to-late 1960's (822639) has a snap-type drop sticker to whippen
>connection that is wobbly, causing the whole drop to twist and 'fall off'
>the capstan.  I tried the bushing cloths that I carry, but none seemed thick
>enough for the job.  Is it just a matter of getting thick enough cloth that
>will still pass through the 'jaws'?  It seems to be made with the idea of
>snapping on or off.
>
>Is it worth pulling the action, or just bring a pillow and get comfy on the
>floor?  The entire mid-section is loose to some degree.
>
>thanks
>
>Ron Koval
>Chicagolandtech

Roger Jolly