decals

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:27:29 -0700 (MST)

Hi Arthur:

If this fax was official, I'm wondering if Steinway would prefer that
rebuilders place their own names on the fallboard instead of Steinway.
This would turn out to be advertising for the rebuilder instead of for
Steinway. Since there are many more old Steinways (and most all are
rebuildable) than there are relatively new Steinways, they would lose
a lot of free advertising. This does not look like a wise decision.

Another issue that would be involved is whether rebuilders would be
allowed to use transfers rather than decals. Individual letter transfers
could possibly look a little trashy (not in keeping with the
traditional quality of Steinway). I wonder which way they would really
prefer to have it.

Patents and copyrights expire. Do trademarks ever expire?

In 57 years in the piano service field, I have never seen a Steinway decal
on a non Steinway piano. Have any of the rest of you ever seen an example
of this despicable action? Well, I have seen the name Steinert on a
Steinway designed piano, but I believe that was by arrangement many years
ago.

Jim Coleman, Sr.