Dummy weights (was Re: Touchweight)

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:14:25 -0500 (CDT)

>Newt: I'm sure Nossaman could 'whup' one of these up in a New [Jersey]
>minute. The action spacing wouldn't be a problem, since he would abort on
>the damper lever flanges, drill horizontal holes in the damper levers (or
>facsimilies), and daisy-chain 'em on a section of aluminum conduit.
>However, -mounting- the assembly, sectionally or otherwise, could present
>an engineering dilemma!

* Man, I'm not nearly that ambitious!

>Ron: Is your al-u-min-ium (Southern version) long enough for section work,
>or for the entire keyboard? Could you dig it out and run some specs by --
>length, rod diameter, washer diameter, and approximate number of washers
>(or pounds) used? I can't find the original Whurlie description, but am
>crazy enough to have another go at building one of these. I have LOTS of
>experience at building projects that ended up in the round file!

* Well, dad-gummit, I just did post the washer and rod size (1 3/8" OD,
9/16" ID washers on a 3/8" rod). Now you're going to make me go measure the
length too. OK, it's 49 1/2" of washers, with the rod about 1/2" longer.
That's full length. My bathroom scales say it's about 18 lbs. At the time I
put it together, I chose the washer size to fit my guesstimated weight
requirement per key, and took what I could get. This isn't a precision tool,
by any stretch of the imagination, But I've sure found it handy for "good
enough for now" key leveling.

(And preferably,
>something that doesn't go sailing across the shop -- or hit me in the
>forehead -- when I forget that they're there and perform a mighty settling
>blow to a key.)
>
>Jim Harvey, RPT

* No danger of that with this sucker! Just don't drop it on your toe.

 Ron N