interesting piano

Wed, 25 Aug 1999 06:47:45 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: John Dewey <jdent@soltec.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 1999 5:42 AM
Subject: Re: interesting piano

> Since there are no holes in the sound board, since there are no nose
bolts,
> since there are no back posts I can not see a cross section of the sound
> board. Judging from the one crack in the sound board I do not think it is
> laminated. There are about the number of parallel ribs that I am used to
> seeing. It sure is easy to check the crown without those pesky back post
in
> the way.
>
> An interesting side note. When the PTG chapter picnic was here last week
the
> tecks with a strong musician background first comment was "The sharps are
> rounded on the back like an organ's". The tecks who do not have a strong
> musician background first comment was "There aren't any back posts".
>

> John Dewey

John,

You might also want to check that "pinblock" again.  I once worked on a 9'
Mathushek that had a very thick plate through the pinblock area.  There was
no block as such.  There were individual plugs fit into 11 mm holes in the
cast iron.

In this particular piano the long straight side was on the treble side and
the bent side was on the bass.  Sure looked interesting.

Yes. I would loved to have seen his notebook.

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder
Hoquiam, Washington  USA