Key Leveling 1-2-3 (long)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:55:17 EDT

Dear List,

After reading several views about key leveling, I would like to put the
procedure in perspective.  The technique of making a cut in a balance rail
punching and inserting it under the balance rail punching (or bearing in most
Steinways) is a great idea but I hardly think you could use it as a basic key
leveling procedure.  It is best used as a final touch up technique.

Here, in a nutshell, is how I was taught key leveling by Bill Garlick RPT at
the Steinway factory seminar in 1986.  (My colleagues at that seminar turned
out to be some of the most prominent and influential PTG technicians today:
Gina Carter, Karen Hudson-Brown ((well known even back then for her die hard
work in HT's)) (((I thought she was nuts, I was doing the ET with pure 5ths
and thought it was the ONLY way to tune a Steinway))), and Michael Wathen who
invented the Wapin Bridge design and was awarded the PTG Member of Note at
the Providence Convention.  What a gang!)

1.  Start the key leveling on the bench.  You can set some samples in the
piano if you like.  If the keyframe has been newly refelted or the key level
is obviously uneven to the eye from a distance, it will require a gross,
rough leveling first which is best done with the action stack off and using
the substitute weights that you clip on the backchecks.  You can use a
straight edge or a bubble type leveling device.

Try to use only card and thick paper punchings in this procedure.  Lift out
the cloth punching (or bearing, being careful not to reverse its
orientation), place the card and/or paper punchings, using as few as possible
that will bring you as close to the desired level as possible.  Replace the
cloth punching (or bearing) and press down on the key firmly.  If the key is
too high or still too low, remove the punching(s) and replace with one (or
more) that you think will bring the key to the proper level and again press
firmly on the key.

It is inadvisable at any time to place the card or paper punching on top of
the cloth or bearing, even for an estimate.  Lifting out the cloth or bearing
and placing the card or paper under it will give a different result than
simply placing the card or paper on top.  And need I even say it that to
leave the card or paper on top of the punching is improper?  Please, for your
own sake, let alone that of your customer's and the piano's, don't do that.

2.  Now, with the action stack on and a rough hammer line set (all shanks
about 1/8" above the rebound rail or pads), and the action in the piano with
the keyblocks in and screwed down tightly (or using spring clamps as a
substitute for that tension), use a straight edge to find the low keys.
Since there is a 2:1 ratio between the front edge of the key and the balance
rail, you can estimate the punching required by finding which punching will
exactly fill the gap between the keytop and the straight edge and divide that
value in half.

For example, if you find that a .020" card punching fills that gap just
right, it will take a .010" thick paper punching to raise the key.  You can
place that punching on the balance rail pin to tell you that this is the
punching that must go there.

If you have a high key, try firmly pressing downward on the key button to try
to compress the material.  If this is not successful, you can determine who
much punching must be *removed* and take a punching of that size, mark it
with a pencil so that you will know that this is the amount to be removed.
For example, if you have determined that the key is .010" too high and you
find a .020" card under the cloth punching or bearing, remove the card and
replace it with the .010" and .005" paper punchings (the thinnest paper
always on top).  Again, press firmly on the key button to settle all of the
materials.

3.  After replacing the stack, the key level should be much better but if
still rough, it would be best to repeat step #2.  If there are just a few
slightly low keys, the technique of cutting a a punching and slipping it in
under the balance rail cloth or bearing is a quick and effective way of
accomplishing a fine and final leveling. This is also a good, in-the-field
technique for a keyboard which has only a few flaws in the leveling.

Keydip:  When setting up a newly refelted keyframe, start by using the
thicker card punchings first and get a basic dip that is just a bit deeper
than you eventually want it.  For fine adjustment, it must be done in the
piano and it is best to again use as few punchings as possible, the thickest
cards on the bottom and the paper on top of them.

Start with the keydip reasonably even all the way across but still just a tad
deeper than you really want it to be for your after touch.  Get your other
regulating done except for the finest repetition and backchecking.  Get your
best let-off, drop and hammer line set.  Then you can fine regulate the
aftertouch using which ever gauge you prefer.

The story about the drilled out penny is amusing but I remember Bill Garlick
saying that pennies had been exempted from the coin defacement law.  I really
don't know if this is true or when or if that exemption had been given.  In
any case, if a penny works for you, I wouldn't worry about drilling on out
for your own personal use.  But you can just as easily find a washer of the
same thickness and not have to drill it at all.

I like Ed's idea of simply using different front rail cards depending on the
aftertouch you want:  .030", .045", .060", etc.  The smaller the card, the
less aftertouch and the more power and control.  However, new or newly
rebuilt pianos lose this fine regulation quickly.  It is better to use a very
comfortable amount of aftertouch in a piano in which you know you will not be
able to fine regulate it frequently.  You can mark the punchings you use for
aftertouch or cut a slot in them to make them easy to put in and take out.  I
have also seen technicians use keytop material (which comes in various
thicknesses) which has been specially cut to use as an aftertouch "tool".
This is very handy because the "tool" is easily held in the hand, inserted
and removed.

I hope this provides some useful information.

Regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin