V-Pro

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 05:20:51 EDT

Ron writes:
>How can a longer support area for a given load, on a given
>footprint width, result in accelerated wear of the support? This is contrary
>to logic as I know it. How does this work? Let's backtrack and plug a few
>holes before we hotly dispute anything else, what do you say?

    I have the same questions here as Ron does.  Plus a few other things.
Inre the "damping" differences between the materials:
   When there is, in a vibrating system, something that damps as profoundly
as the soundboard,  I don't know that the plate's contribution will make a
lot of difference in the damping.  It would seem more important that the
plate be designed so that it has no audible resonant frequency (all
structures have one).  Lack of audible resonant period shouldn't be confused
with damping, imho.
    The increase in radius of the V-bar doesn't seem to cause any accelerated
wear, in my experience.  The heaviest grooving I have seen has been on the
smallest radii.
     I also question whether the longitudinal waves that occur in a vibrating
string cause the string to move back and forth over the v-bar, since in so
doing, the tension would equalize ,and I know that I leave more tension in
the top string than in the speaking length, and that this tension
differential remains until the next time I move the pin.  Is that not where
stability comes from?
    Ron has some questions here that I would like to see definitively
answered, too.
Regards,
Ed Foote