Hammer butt spring rail

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 00:46:00 EDT

My two springs worth:

The European or Schwander butt spring is nice and neat, permitting easy
service (don't have to use your magnetic screwdriver or screwholder to keep
from losing the screw upon removal).  But it is weaker than the American rail
spring.  The best designs have a forward tilted plate, which I believe
permits the action to be similarly tilted, introducing more gravity into the
hammer return.  The old Chickering 167BB did this with the Schwander butt;  I
don't know if any Euro or Japanese pianose have the tilted plate.  I don't
think even the Bechstein does.  I bet that Yamahas would permit a closer
letoff adjustment, with less hammer burbling, if the plate were forward
tilted.

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University

<< <<
  God I hate those things... I much prefer the European system where the
  spring is built into individual hammer butts. I am curious, why are rails
  still used ?? are there any benifits to them ??

  Richard Brekne
  I.C.P.T.G.   N.P.T.F.
  Bergen, Norway

 The spring rails are much easier to regulate for spring tension.  Bigger
 springs and better repetition.

 Dave Peake, RPT
 Portland Chapter
 Oregon City, OR