Creaking sustain pedal

Evoniuk, Gary E gee19685@glaxowellcome.com
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 15:21:41 -0400

Dear List:

The damper pedal on my S&S B makes a slight creak at the beginning of pedal
travel (and again at the end when returning) which is quiet but noticeable
in recording situations.  I have traced this to the coiled return spring in
the trapwork.  The latter seems to rubbing on itself or shifting where it
contacts the underside of the keybed and trapwork lever.  Does anyone know
of any easy fixes for this?  I thought of using an old auto repair trick -
taking a piece of plastic tubing and running it up the coil, in this way
encasing the spring but thought someone else may have solved this more
simply (jamming felt scraps into the coil until it stops? taking the spring
out completely?).

BTW this B was built in 1997 and incorporates the current S&S trapwork
design (larger hole in keybed for pitman).

Thanks,

Gary Evoniuk
Durham, NC