Touchweight

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 18:21:40 -0400

All those other folks have the right of it.  You have to the action
ready to regulate before you regulate.  I set the dip on several keys
(usually section ends) to a known dip block in the piano then take key
heights.

At the bench I shim the key frame until I get the same dip as I had in
the piano.  I then mark a piece of tape on the bench so I can exactly
relocate the action.  I have an adjustable regulation rack that allows
me to set the string height for each section.  I place masking tape on
the racks and mark the center string of each note (right string on
bichords).  This rack is located with marked masking tape on the
bench.  I can now disassemble the action for all the work, filing
hammers, cleaning, etc., etc., ad nosium and be able to space hammers,
level keys, dip, etc. then I can retrun the action to the piano and
usually have to redo the letoff and the dip, just to be sure.

I also do a lot of regulation, start to finish, at the piano.  I only
transport actions if I am replacing key bushings, hammers, or such.
It is easier to transport myself and my tools than the action and have
to redo some work, which I HATE to do.

Think this through carefully next time and you can save yourself a lot
of grief and time because you will know what to expect.

		Newton