Touchweight

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:11:29 +0200

> >In a message dated 8/22/99 5:26:55 PM !!!First Boot!!!, ted@brevard.net
> >writes:
> >
> ><< However, when I
> > returned the action to the piano and secured the cheek blocks some of the
> > hammers failed to go into check on a light blow.   They just hung there in
> > about drop position.  This would definitely be felt as a heavy touch.  This
> > action rests on its rails; it does not have glides.  To correct this I
> > added a little more key dip and that took care of the problem.  I guess
> > this is a good example where bench regulation isn't always the most
> > accurate method.
> >
> > Ted Simmons >>

You mentioned you checked touchweight and all your samples fell within acceptable
parameters. I am wondering, how do you test for touchweight. Do you at the same
time figure the friction of the action with these values ?

>From what I get from your post, it seems like you got something close to negative
drop when you put the action back in the piano, and attributed the "heavy" touch
feel to that. If this is the case, I am not sure I would call that heavy (feeling
wise) as much as I would think along the lines of an "empty bottoming" or
something like that. In any case you wouldnt feel this "heaviness" as you call it
until after you reach letoff.. Is this what you are refering too?  I can see how
the lack of ability to get through letoff could be thought of as heaviness, but I
think I would use another term.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway