V Pro discussion

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 12:40:17 -0500 (CDT)

>Grin... Ok.. so let me see if I got this straight.  You fellows are telling me
>that the plate has little or nothing to say about the projection or general
>colour of the sound of the instrument ?? Or are you telling me that what
>influence it has is far outweighed by other factors ?
>
>Richard Brekne
>I.C.P.T.G.  N.T.P.F.
>Bergen, Norway

I don't think anyone said the plate didn't have much to do with it, I think
the contention was that the *composition* of the plate didn't have a lot to
do with it, as long as it met the structural requirements. What I'm saying,
at least, is that there are way too many other factors involved for one to
be able to point to the plate material as the "cause" of a particular make
and model's overall quality of sound. It's just like me not noticing those
laminated shanks all that time in the Yamahas. You aren't seeing everything
that is responsible for that characteristic sound. Relying on what you think
you remember someone saying once, regarding such things won't help you any
more than the same kind of "information" helps me. It's mostly just
misleading and confusing. The annoyance here is trying to remember what the
current logical status of any given "fact" is, since so much of what we were
taught, or "know" gets scrapped and updated with better information at an
ever increasing rate, it's hard to know what you really "know", since it
doesn't stand still long enough for you to get used to it before it moves on
you again. I just don't think you have enough information to make the
judgement and conclusion. That's all.

 Ron N