Steinway underlever spring tension

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 07:23:37 -0500

List,

I am rebuilding a Steinway model O, 1913.  I've replaced the action with all
Renner and I'm using the old back action (damper system) since it is in very
good condition.  I have prepped it, reinstalled it and I've gotten the usual
too heavy touchweight due to the spring tension on the underlevers.

I plan to put the system back on the workbench and use a small digital scale
to weigh-off each underlever, setting the spring tension on each underlever.
Does anyone have any guidelines/gram #'s on what I should shoot for to get
good weight and good damping?  I attended the Renner all-day class in K.C.,
but neither my notes nor memory recall specific instruction on this.  In the
past I have weakened them and guesstimated it.  Thanks in advance.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter