Baldwin hitch pin replacement?

Tue, 17 Aug 1999 21:46:32 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Michiel van Loon <mvanloon@xs4all.nl>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 1999 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: Baldwin hitch pin replacement?

Thanx Del,
This explains a lot to me.
We don't se many Baldwins here in Europe, the only ones I've seen were on
the Frankfurter Musik Messe.
Is 10mm thickness of the hitchpin panel thick enough? I'm talking about a
Grotrian Steinweg plate here.

Michiel van Loon
Meppel
the Netherlands

I would prefer not to make that kind of judgement call without examining the
piano and looking at the stringing scale.

It is not just a matter of the hitchpin panel thickness.  There is also the
placement of the hitchpin on the panel, the height of the string off of the
plate surface, the amount of tension on the scale, the spacing of the
hitchpins, etc.  I have not yet had a plate break following this conversion,
and I don't want to start with someone else's piano.

Regards,

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder