V Pro discussion

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 17:29:28 EDT

Et Al;
 I suppose I have lost track of this thread somewhere or my powers of
deduction/observation are slipping..............I see where some Yamahas are
subject to "plate ring" because they have v-pro plates and........I see where
sand cast Yamahas have "plate ring". and where Yamahas have a "metallic"
sound.  Then I see where v-pro plates are "softer" than sand cast plates (I
tend to agree with this theory) and yet they supposedly have more "plate
ring" than do their "harder sand cast" cousins...................have I
missed something important somewhere?.........A 'softer' metal having more
ring to it than a 'harder' metal??  And now Richard says that the plate rings
on S&S and Yamaha are 'different'.......well yeah that's  true....... buuuuut
everything else between Yamaha and S&S are different............. why would
plate ring zyphers be the exception?
 What I view as "plate ring" is a discernible, distinct tone emanating from
the plate when struck a sharp blow or when excited by a harmonic(s) from the
strings. A completely seperate and distinctly different problem/challenge
than duplex scale noises, etc.

 Not trying to be difficult but is this a circular discussion vis a vis
"plate rings"??
Jim Bryant (FL)