V Pro discussion

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 16:24:14 +0200

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 8/16/1999 5:53:12 PM, richardb@c2i.net writes:
>
> << In any case Ed's view seems to be shared in so many words by many of the
> reps from European factories I
> have met. >>
>
> Richard;
>  This statement needs some analyzing doesn't it?
> Might the "reps" have a vested interest in their opinions as stated?

Well sure... thats part of the game to be sure. Most of these guys are factory
trained field techs who directly represent their respective companies while
otherwise running their own buisnesses.. Steinway, Bosendorfer, Schimmel, and I
think we have even a Bechstein fellow here in Norway. In Germany of course there
are several. Germans are renowned for schofffing a bit at non German pianos and
the plate discussion is of course going to be colored by that bias. The trick to
such things is to try and read through the bullsh.... My view is that something
about Ed's assesment rings true, tho I am open to someone showing me that it
isnt. Another point would be that even if it was 100% true, Yamaha has definatly
found a way of increasingly working around it, as it is obvious (to me at any
rate) that the Yamaha sound has gotten year for year away from that brashy metal
sound it had many years ago. Tho I contend it still is evident to some degree.
This is not a criticism necessarily.

> Wasn't a "metallic sound" one of the reasons that manufacturers, without full
> plates, used as an selling argument with their prospective customers?
> Now then, is the metallic sound only in the competitions pianos and not their
> own?

Grin.. sales folks will say just about anything, and factory reps are not far
off.

> Just a couple of questions............
> Jim Bryant (FL)

Richard Brekne