Piano wire quality

Elian Degen J. degen@telcel.net.ve
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 00:02:54 -0400

Where I live we have mostly German pianos.

Long time ago I used a brand "Degen" same as my last name, according to =
my father we were related ? I worked great.=20

When I started working on my own I used Roslau, also from APSCO, not =
tined. I still use it and I am very satisfied with the results. I never =
used the tined one nor Diamond. For American pianos I used Mapes Int. =
Gold also with good result

Now that I remembered, anyone has ever seen Degen brand ?

I am curious if still exists, it was German

Elian
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Brian Trout=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, August 16, 1999 10:03 PM
  Subject: Piano wire quality

  I was perusing the Apsco catalog today and stopped for a bit at the =
piano wire page.  They have 3 different products to sell.  They have the =
Diamond brand, the Roslau brand, and the Mapes International Gold brand. =
 (The Roslau comes in tinned wire too if you want it.)
  =20
  I've used the Roslau tinned.  Never again.  The stuff I had, the =
plating was coming off of the wire, and it sounded terrible.  I've been =
using the Mapes Int. Gold wire for the last year or so, and so far, I =
like it very well.  I would imagine in all fairness, that the Roslau =
polished wire is probably comparable to the Mapes.
  =20
  Have any of you used the Diamond brand, or had any basis to compare it =
to the other brands of wire commonly available?
  =20
  The last thing in the world I'd want to 'skimp' on is the piano wire.  =
But by the same token, if the Diamond brand is of comparable quality and =
will perform on a similar level to the other two,  I'm wondering if I =
need to spend the bucks on the more expensive wire.  I don't know.  =
That's why I'm asking.  :-)
  =20
  Any thoughts out there?
  =20