Soundboard cleaning elixir

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 18:49:40 EDT

<< I admit that I have more cleaners and solvents than I've actually tried,
 including various citrus-based offerings, Simple Green, ENTNT (miracle
 stuff), and others. I just don't want to be the one who goes up a one-way
 street on customer-owned goods.

 Does anyone have a product to recommend under these circumstances?

 Thanks!

SInce it is almost impossible to get rind of all of the dirt, most of my
customers seem to be satisfied that they can at least see the soundboard. I
use Spic & Span and luke warm water, with a couple of rags and a soundboard
steel.

Now the secret to satisfying the customer is not how clean you get the
soundboard. The secret is having the customer know what you are doing. When I
go to clean a soundboard, I will ask the lady for a bucket of luke warm
mildly soapy water, using Spic & Span, or whatever they might have handy. The
fact that I am asking for a bucket of luke warm mildly soapy water will
convince the customer that the soundbaord will become as clean as it will
get. I really don't care what household cleaner I use,  because once diluted
with water, there is not enough of the chemical in the water to hurt the
strings.

Clean the soundboard with the rags, pushing them under strings, from the bass
end to the treble, and then pulling the dirty rag out from under the strings
at the high treble. Be sure you rinse the rags out thouroghly between passes.
Get that water good and dirty. Then make sure the customer sees the dirty
water before you dump it down the drain. (Its the effect that will satisfy
the customer, not the actual cleaniness of the board).

Some soundbaords will not get clean, no matter how hard you try. Coke,
coffee, or other sugary liquids that have spilled on the soundboard will not
come off unless you use a strong stripper and steel wool. And that can only
be done withteh strings off the piano.

As I said, the secret is getting the customer to give you the bucket and the
rags. The rest is a piece of cake.

Willem.