Baldwin 'leather' question

atonal@telusplanet.net atonal@telusplanet.net
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 14:02:48 -0600

Nancy MacMillan wrote:

 Hi Ken,
> Check  the April 1997 Journal for article entitled Baldwin Leather
> Replacement by Rob Kiddell, RPT.

Yes, and I also have the article on my website at:
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/atonal/bleather.html

Regarding 'clicking' on Baldwin actions in general, I don't find that
the blackened leather on older actions contributes to noise, as it is
still fairly soft material. I have no idea what it is, but I'm sure it's not
leather or Corfam. I do find the stuff leaves behind a bloody mess of
black residue throughout the action. Pull the action and use a good
air compressor (outdoors) to get rid of the accumulated black dust
and vaccuum the case interior. I have replaced blackened 'leather'
on  a couple of piano actions that came through the Baldwin store,
but this was because we were re-conditioning these pianos for
sale, and I haven't done a replacement for a client yet. Cleaning
seems to suffice.

Back to clicking.... hammer head glue joints seem to be the #1
culprit here, even if they don't feel loose. #2 are catcher glue joints;
grab the catcher with your parallel pliers and give a gentle twist (not
too hard, you don't want to twist the butt centre pin). Also, check
the bridle strap, I find that sometimes the hole in the vinyl strap end
sometimes enlarges and rattles against the bridle wire when you
play the note. Use a drop or two of PVC-E glue on the bridle strap
at the hole around the wire to stop this from rattling. Flick the jack
forward with your finger, and release it to see if the jack itself is
clicking, or if your problem lies elsewhere.

Also check hammer spring rail springs, both at the hammer butt,
but also at the coil of the spring, use your finger to push the wire
back from the butt and listen for creaking.

Other suggestions which have been mentioned are tightening
flange screws.

Good Luck!!

Rob Kiddell RPT
Atonal Piano Service