Center Pin Lube

Ted Simmons ted@brevard.net
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 12:27:14 -0400

On Friday morning our local newspaper had a Quick Fix hint that stirred my
curiosity.  It said "To remove sticky substances, even gum, from carpet or
fabric, use brake cleaner.  It is the same chemical dry cleaners use.  This
is also great for removing auto grease from carpet or clothing."  I
wondered if it would work on sluggish center pins.  So I bought an aerosol
can of it to experiment with.  I have 2 Steinway shank/flange assemblies
that were so sluggish that I could hold the flange in my fingers and the
shank stuck straight out.  I sprayed the brake cleaner on the flanges and
let it soak for a few minutes.  In no time at all the flange was free and
the shank swung freely.  That was Friday evening and it's now Sunday and
the flange still moves freely.  I know this is not what one would consider
a test of time so I'll let this sit for a week or 2 and see what happens.
It would be a good idea if others did a similar experiment to back up the
results.  The WD-40 craze of the 60's and 70's for center pins was a dud,
so I'm leary of using this stuff.

The brake cleaner I used was Prestone Heavy Duty Brake Parts Cleaner with
fast dry high performance formula.  The ingredients are Acetone, Heptane,
Xylene, Ethylbenzene, and Propane.  Got it from Wal-mart.  It is extremely
flammable and should be used in a well-ventilated area. (I think I just
scared myself from using it again)

Ted Simmons
Merritt Island, FL