To Rebuild or Not - 7' Ivers & Pond

Wasson Kerrick wkerrick@mindspring.com
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 01:27:38 -0500

    I am in need of some expert opinions/advice concerning an Ivers & =
Pond grand, about 7 1/2 feet in length, made around 1894.  The original =
workmanship appears to have been quite good, but the present condition =
leaves much to be desired.  Currently I am pondering my options as to =
what to do with this piano.  Although I have tuned jillions and =
"rebuilt" a fair number of pianos over the past 21 years, Ivers & Pond =
is a brand with which I have almost no experience.  My questions are as =
follows:
    1) For those of you who have quite a bit of experience with larger =
grands from this time period, how did Ivers & Pond compare to the =
leading American brands of the day, such as Steinway, Mason & Hamlin, =
Chickering, Knabe, and Weber?
    2a) If this piano were meticulously, thoroughly, and lovingly =
rebuilt (not redesigned, as I presume Del, Ron, and some others might =
attempt), what could I expect in the way of overall quality? =20
    2b) What about tuning stability if played vigorously and often, in =
comparison to a modern 7' piano of familiar make such as Steinway or =
Yamaha?
    2c) Do you feel this is this an instrument deserving such intensive =
attention, or is it just an also-ran?  If you had this piano, would you =
be more inclined toward rebuilding, or toward an easy way out (such as =
selling as is, or after minimal repair and regulation)?
    3) Is it both possible and feasible to redesign the =
soundboard/ribs/bridges to improve the mid and upper treble, which in =
the piano's present state of ill health seems weak and feeble compared =
to the low tenor and bass?  If so, who might be qualified and willing to =
help me do this (for a reasonable fee)?
    4) Because of its size and relatively obscure name, I'm uneasy about =
the difficulty of selling this instrument.  Consequently, I'm hesitant =
to tackle the beast for fear of a big investment with no return.  What's =
your opinion/experience in this regard?
    5) The original ivory is still on the keys, but in poor condition.  =
I've an estimate of $2500+ from Walker Piano Service to restore the =
ivory and replace damaged ivory.  Do you feel I should raid the vault =
and keep ivory on this piano, or should I just relax and opt for new =
plastic dentures on this old dinosaur?

    I look forward to hearing from all who care to respond.  Email me =
privately if you prefer.

    Although seldom a contributor, over the last year I've derived a =
good deal of useful, interesting, and amusing information from the =
numerous and diverse topics, viewpoints, facts, and opinions expressed =
on this list.  Even though many of the posts seem to me rather =
insignificant or redundant, those that remain certainly do to make =
wading through the messages well worthwhile.  My hat goes off to those =
of you who have kept the ball in play, put it back in bounds when it's =
gone astray, and called a foul when things have gotten a little out of =
line.

Wasson Kerrick, RPT
Owensboro, KY
wkerrick@mindspring.com