V-Pro discussion

Fri, 13 Aug 1999 21:45:39 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, August 13, 1999 3:08 PM
Subject: V-Pro discussion

....  The cast iron cools perfectly uniform as to place no air pockets
> and no stress areas due to uneven cooling.

Well, then.  What were those void in the casting that I hit the last time I
was drilling into a Yamaha vacuum cast plate?

> A highly superior process.  I
> have heard that sometimes as many as more than 50% of other companies
plates
> have to be recast due to imperfections.

Who is it that is claiming this?  I doubt that OS Kelly recasts more than
maybe 0.5% of the plates that they make.  And most of those would be due to
non-casting related problems.

> How is the density different?
> Richard, if they are both cast iron how can one be more dense?

The iron in vacuum cast plates does seem to be less dense.  I am not a
metalurigist, but I have been told it is because the alloy has to be
somewhat different.  I do know that the cross-sections in these plates are
generally a bit heavier.

None of which makes them necessarily worse for piano plates.  Not better,
either.  Just different.  Until someone tries to make it into a misleading
sales pitch.

Del