Impedance Matching

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 00:12:48 +0200

Stephen Birkett wrote:

> I have my opinions about modal analysis (mentioned here once a
> while back)...that, at best, it can tell you that the soundboard is
> working as you already know that it is supposed to work. As a practical
> tool for design I have my doubts it will ever give anything, primarily
> because it treats the sb unloaded and in isolation from the interactions
> with the rest of the piano.

Hmmm.. In the section of the Wogram article entitled "Influence of string
tension" He seems to be saying that the condition of an uloaded soundboard is
not a problem. He says that the basic impedance curve and sound radiation
curves remain basically the same and that only the lowest resonances are
effected and that the effect is predictable enough to take into consideration.
Is this outdated ??

The article seems to point to some significant degree of potential for
re-distributing resonance points for the different nodes by introducing new
stiffness and / or mass to different areas of the soundboard. Course one would
have to gain lots of experience to know just how, why and where to introduce
such changes on an existing board, but it seems like enough information can be
obtained by the modal analysys to accomplish this. Or is this just a sugar
coated red herring ?? Opinions ??

> Now as for physical modelling there are other ways....but that is another
> long story. Check out
>    http://www.uk-piano.org/piano_research/
> for details.

Thanks.. I will spend some time there this weekend.

> By the way there are some references listed in the bibliography there.
>
> Stephen
>
> Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
> Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
> 464 Winchester Drive
> Waterloo, Ontario
> Canada N2T 1K5
> tel: 519-885-2228