fully disclosed Yamaha lover questions Petrof

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:28:55 -0600

Hi Mike,
            Yamaha V process plates have proven to have been a big winner
in the manufactuting process for 2 reasons, 1. It has the the tightest
diamentional standard in the industry. 2. It takes less than a hour to
manufacture, vs 24hrs or more with a sand poured plate.
Yamaha CF's and S series plates are made in the traditional manner, sand pour.

Some Samick and Young Chang's have Renner action PARTS, built to their
specs, I would not consider these actions a renner action because of iffy
action frames and sloppy assembly. and low quality weight off. Most Renner
actions that I have seen have Renner Stuttgart Germany stenciled on the
action rail.

Service support over two generations could be important to you. Parts
replacement etc.
Yamaha would be a clear winner.
Dealer support in your area is another important consideration, how long
has he been handling the product line? Too many times I have seen good
quality pianos sold by poor quality dealers that use the cheapest technical
support personel. Under these conditions a good quality piano may not be a
good purchase. Dealer prep and after sales service will count for 50% of
your satisfaction.

If you are trying to justify spending less and hoping to get the same
quality I will be suprised if you will be satisfied over the long term.

To shop for a good quality grand tech, you could start with your local
university music dept, or the local concert hall.

>Some of these arguments that you give for Yamaha seem to the same as what I
>heard from the Yamaha salesman I spoke to.  If the Vacuum Shield Mold
>Process is so superior why aren't the Steinways, Bosendorfs, M&H, Bechstein,
>etc. using it also.

These companies could not afford the capital investment for the the equipment.

>The Petrof dealer would say that they use many of the same manufacturing
>techniques these other manufactures use.

Choose the piano you like. If money is a driving force reconize it and live
with it. If quality is your primary consideration cry a little and spend
the extra. The difference will be insigificant over 30years.

No answers, just some pointers.

P.S. I am a proud  Baldwin Yamaha dealer and Technician, my choices was
made based on quality and dealer support.

Very unbiased. (Grin)
Roger

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre