fully disclosed Yamaha lover questions Petrof

Fri, 13 Aug 1999 07:44:48 -0700

Mike,

Keep doing your research.  But, mostly, listen to and play the pianos that
end up on your short list.

In the end analysis, many, if not most of the "features" mentioned by the
Yamaha groupies have to do with very fast and efficient manufacturing and
less to do with the performance and sound of the finished piano.

1)    Surely the country of origin has little to do with the finished
product.  Consider the Bluthner.
2)    There is no evidence that the vacuum-cast plate offers any performance
advantage over the sand-cast plate.  It is a very precise method of casting
and it is very fast.  It requires less post-casting finishing to yield a
clean look, but is  no better musically.  (The last I heard, Yamaha was
still using sand-cast plates in their concert grands.)
3)    Tight tolerances in action manufacturing is a very wise move for
production efficiency -- a fact US manufacturers have not yet figured out --
but, again, has little to do with action performance in the real world.  A
well regulated action will play and feel like one and a poorly regulated
action will play and feel like one.
4)    I do not know what Petrof's specific standards are for wood handling.
These are pretty universal among manufacturers of wood products.  Moisture
contents of 8% to 5% are typical, depending on the specific species of wood
and the application.  Actually, for most wood components in the piano, 5%
will be somewhat low.  At least for the US market.
5)    I cut my piano service teeth on new Yamaha pianos in the late 50's.
They were about on par with the Samick and Young Chang pianos of the 80's.
No better, no worse.  To the company's credit, they did not stay there but
continued to evolve and develop.
6)    Tone is a subjective thing.  One of the increasingly common complaints
I hear about Yamaha -- and similar -- pianos is that their tone does not age
well.  Many of them seem to develop an increasingly hard sound that does not
respond well to voicing.  Many people do like this sound.  Others do not.
7)    Currently, there is no clear "undisputed" leader in any market segment
of the piano world.  Thankfully.  It would be a dull world, indeed, with
just one type of piano to choose from.

If this sounds like I am bashing Yamaha, I am not.  (Some of my best friends
own Yamaha's.  Others sell them.)  I'm just pointing out some of the flaws
in using basically a sales pitch to bash other pianos.

I could go on -- but you get the idea.  There are many good pianos out there
worthy of your consideration.  Not just Yamaha.  Not just Steinway.  Not
just ???.  So, keep up the search until you find the piano that suits you
and your needs best.

Regards,

Del
Delwin D Fandrich