Piano Tech Position...a little off topic & long

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:04:54 -0400

I also will tend to think that this might be an excellent position /
opportunity for the _right_ person.

I realize that many people in this country (USA) are accustomed to making
much larger sums of money.  And it's wonderful that the opportunity for
large income exists.  The last figure I heard for a medical doctor's income
in Cuba was $15 per month.  We really are rather spoiled here compared to
much of the rest of the world.  (From our limited personal views, we can get
pretty disconnected from the whole picture.)

But there are a group of people, usually not very vocal, that would look
pretty highly upon such an offer as Binghamton U.  Much depends upon the
attitude of the person.  If a person looks at this position and says, "How
can I ever make it on such a little salary"?  "What can I do to make more
money on the side"?  etc., it may not really be the right position.  The
person more cut out for a position like this may be saying things like
"Wow, 30 hours a week... that leaves me with a lot more time to pursue <my
other interests, or family happiness, or personal study, or hobbies, or...>"

I hope I don't step on too many toes here, but how much income is enough?  I
realize that there are areas of the country, mostly around the major metro
areas that have higher housing costs, etc., but I'm speaking generally here.
How many of us will lie on our death beds wishing we'd spent more time
working?  Think about it.  How much is the big house, the nice car, the new
'toys', etc. _really_ costing you?  (And not just in dollars.)

I personally know (I'm related to) a man who lives on $6K a year.  He has no
electric, no phone, no computer, but he lives well.  And he's happy right
where he is.  (Sometimes I envy him...)

For many years my wife and I lived on about $12K a year.  We lived in an old
mobile home, drove old station wagons, and lived without many of the fancy
gadgets.  But we had time to enjoy our lives.  Had a big garden, ate well,
read books,  visited people (just to enjoy their company... you don't hear
about that one much anymore).  I look back on that point in my life as a
good and happy time.

I'll confess here that I've been working at a store for 3 years now and I'll
tell you what my income was there.  Gross income for 1998 was $21,027.53.
(Full time job.) I don't consider myself poor.  The bills are getting paid.
Actually debt load is being reduced, working towards eliminating it all
together.

If I thought I was cut out (personality wise) for the position in
Binghamton, I'd be up there talking to people right now.  In an age where
many positions, either as an employee or in your own business for that
matter, require 45 or 50 or 55 or 60 hours a week or more!, a 30 hour a week
job sounds like a breath of fresh air to some.  There's a lot more to the
way our lives are structured than the money we make.

Rambling again...with the alternate view...

Just my $.02, plus a little...

Have a good day,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA