fully disclosed Yamaha lover questions Petrof

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:47:54 EDT

In a message dated 8/13/1999 9:01:54 AM, mikep@crt.com writes:

<<" If the Vacuum Shield Mold
Process is so superior why aren't the Steinways, Bosendorfs, M&H, Bechstein,
etc. using it also. ">>

Mike;
 Could it be because they are too chea....eh.... frugal too spend the bucks
to do so....Yep would be a good guess.

  The main thing you should look for in a piano is whether or not you like
the looks and sound and feel of it. As you have said "if" you are not real
acquainted with the workings you must take the dealers/techs word for it and
trust that they are accurate......as opposed to being truthful :-)

 If you haven't done so I would suggest that you obtain a copy of Larry
fine's "Piano Book" to help you in your decision making.  Some of the
criteria you have put on the list is, in my opinion, somewhat 'iffy', such as
the paper between plate and string.....

  Like Ed, I am a Yamaha fan...but Yamaha, as good/dependable as it is, ain't
a Petrof, or Steinway, or Baldwin and they all have their individual good and
bad points.  If we were speaking of one of the older Petrof grands I would be
in the 'Nay" camp but since this is a new one w/Renner action and improved
workmanship (hopefully)...I can only say that I have seen a couple of very
nice 'new' Petrofs.

  It's your money...if'n y'all likes it.. go for it...with a good techs
advice, naturally :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)