analogies

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 21:57:08 -0700

David ilvedson wrote:

> I explain to the customer that I can only do a "fine tuning"
> when I can make tiny adjustments to each string's tension
> while tuning.  I also ask them to imagine they were going to
> paint a wall white.  If the wall was in good condition and close
> in color to white they might very well be able to put on one
> coat and it would look great.  But if it was purple or such it
> would take a couple of passes to make it white.  This is what I
> the tuner am faced when I come to a piano that is off from
> pitch.  I need to rough tune or prime the piano/wall before the
> final tuning/coat of paint.  I have never been totally happy with
> this analogy but the customer understands as most have
> painted a purple wall...: }

My analogy is the "clothesline effect," which was suggested to me by a
customer.  However, I use it judiciously.  No matter how good the
analogy, the real thing is much more credible to customers who possess
the requisite attention span.  I've gotten so that I can usually explain
it in under a minute.  I then open my presentation binder to PTG
Technical Bulletin #1, "Pitch Raising," and hand it to them.  By the
time I'm halfway through the procedure they say, "It's just like you
said."  It's great how PTG aids enhance credibility with first time
customers.

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA