analogies

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:10:42 EDT

jformsma@dixie-net.com writes:

<< 1.  If you stretch a rubber band, it's tendency is to return to its
 unstretched state, which is similar to what will happen when we "stretch"
 these strings to a higher tension.

 2.  A piano needs to be in good tune to be fine tuned.  It is like washing
 and waxing a car.   You wouldn't try to wax the car before washing it, but
 you wash the car first, then wax it to give it that brilliant shine.
 Similarly, the piano has to be at pitch first before it can have that
 "brilliant" sound.

 What do you think of these analogies?  I have used the first, but not the
 second.  Also, what have you found useful in explaining these and similar
 concepts to your customers.

 Ever the curious one,

For a pitch raise, I use a medical analogy. Most people know the term Triage.
We heard this term used a lot on MASH. It's when a soldier would come to the
MASH unit is such bad shape that he had to get well enough from his injuries
before he could be operated on. In other words, before we can operate,
(tune), we have to get the piano in shape to be tuned.

Willem Blees