once more an opinion about Petrof

Antares antares@EURONET.NL
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:37:56 +0000

>So.  Let's see if I have this right.  Petrof builds a piano that Richard
>(along with a few others) point out could be built somewhat better than is
>being done.  At the same time more than a few folks say sounds pretty good.
>And, in spite of its various assembly and structural flaws, it sells quite
>well and the owners seem to like them.  What a unique concept.  Could it be
>the music....
>
>Del

No Del, it could not be the music, and you know better.
Last year I recall reacting to a similar discussion about Petrof. I wrote a
long account of my own experience with Petrofs here in Holland. However, my
writing was totally in(vain) so it seemed, nobody reacted.
Now we have the same issue and all I wish to say here is that although
Petrofs can have a nice sound (especially the bass and the middle section),
and although they really did improve the quality, it still is an instrument
we can not compare with, for instance, Schimmel, Yamaha, Seiler and more
like those. The price too will reveal at least something about the quality.
Lastly, I have tuned Petrofs during almost 30 years (is that  enough then to
have an opinion?), and allow me to tell you..when I started as an
apprentice, they were bad...., and it had to do with the East Bloc (s)low
tech mentality (last year I made a comparison with older Lada's, Trabants,
and Skoda's, if you know what I am talking about).
So in a way, some people are right when they put the finger on some sore
spots.
Nevertheless, and this is my personal thought (for as far as anybody could
be interested), Petrofs are not bad value at all, they have improved
considerably and they can be surprisingly nice for that money.

Exit me,

Antares