Impedance Matching

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:33:40 -0500 (CDT)

> In general it would be better if
>they were higher in frequency. For example if the lowest mode were tuned
>to 100 Hz instead of around the 50 Hz more commonly seen. Unfortunately
>to construct such a soundboard would make it too heavy and it's
>impedance would be too high.

Hi John,
Let's see, the resonant frequency of an oscillating system goes up with
increased stiffness, and down with increased mass, while the impedance goes
up with increased stiffness and up with increased mass. Is that right? If
so, then the resonant frequency of the soundboard in the bass could be
raised by lowering the weight, and slightly increasing the stiffness.
Narrower, taller ribs could provide the same, or slightly greater stiffness
at a lower weight. Theoretically, this could raise the resonant frequency
without raising the impedance. Thinning the panel in the bass would decrease
both weight, and stiffness, as well as lowering the impedance, but I'm not
sure what it would do to the resonant frequency, since I don't know what the
sum proportional effects of the changes are. I suspect the information is
out there somewhere, but I haven't tried chasing it down yet. It's on the
list. Any ideas?

 Ron N