Restring Nut

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:33:37 -0500 (CDT)

 The piano has ribs like every 2 inches or so.
>Lots of them. They are triangle shaped. That is they angle up to a point on the
>top. The soundboard is 8 mm thick, some small amount of crown (a straight edge
>taken across the top of the board, angled with the tenor bridge with
strings off
>shows about 2 mm space at each end.) There are no cave-ins on the board
>anywhere.
>
>The board rose almost not at all when I took off the strings. So I thought like
>this. Lots of ribs... board has no cracks and has never been repaired... bridge
>shows almost no indentation from strings after all these years... piano had
long
>sustain and weak tone above and beyond what overdampers can explain... little
>but some crown..........
>
>This thing (soundboard) must be really stiff.

* Bingo!

, so I decided to lower the plate
>and set string deflection at 0.5mm treble and 0.8 bass. (at low tension)

* Why? Just curious what you have in mind here. What was the bearing like
before tear down? Are you hoping to get more sound, or what?

 Not haveing a scaleing program, and this being just a first try at such I
>decided to just keep it real simple. I am pulling it up to pitch tommorrow so I
>will know how it sounds.

* You're doing fine in general, but you need to round up a few more of the
available tools. You really should get some sort of scaling program, or make
up a spreadsheet with Dave Roberts' "Calculating Technician" information.
You need to try to determine what you have before you start making changes,
so the changes will make it better instead of worse. What you suggest here
probably isn't detrimental or dangerous, but it would be better to know that
before hand. There was a shareware DOS version of Rescale available for the
download a while back. Does anyone out there have the URL on that one? It
would at least be something.

>Richard Brekne
>I.C.P.T.G.  N.T.P.F.
>Bergen, Norway