Historical temperamentals (longer)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 06:20:51 EDT

Greetings,
I wrote:
><<"DeMorgan was a mathematical genius, yet in the 1800's <snip>
>is a person that was very familiar with math, the ratios would not threaten
>him, *yet he proposes an unequal tuning.*">>

and Jim asks:
> Do you base his "proposes an unequal tuning" from this passage or from
>some  other quote? I don't see him "proposing" anything in this passage.
   Ach!,  I was referring to the temperament Jorgensen ascribes to him on pg
458 of "Tuning".

>  I don't equate a disonant chord juxtaposed with
>a much less disonant chord as being "power", rather a contrast, perhaps this
>is  what you are also saying and it is from this contrast that the perceived

   Yes. The "power" thing comes, imho, from context.  The power I am speaking
of is not measured in decibels, but rather in the degree to which a listener
can be emotionally moved around.  Music that brings an audience to tears is
powerful music.
    All this business of temperaments is ultimately aimed at creating heavier
emotional reactions in the recital halls and more pleasing response for the
person playing for their own pleasure.  I believe that this is the power that
will increase the popularity of our instrument.
     What was the tuning really like when the piano made its rise to
dominance?  1800-1910?  It is looking more and more like it was not an exact
rendering of ET, but something more musically organized for key use.  I know
that using Jim Coleman's Victorian inspired temperaments have delighted every
 customer I have pitched them to, except one.
     This is a question I have asked myself, so now I will ask the list to
consider it. Could key color, no matter how slight, be an important missing
ingredient and its absence partially responsible for the piano's long slide
from dominion?  I wonder if a retune is a necessity to get out in front
again.
Regards,
Ed Foote