New Petrof 52" upright"

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 01:26:30 EDT

In a message dated 8/10/99 12:18:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

<< Richard:

 I think you and I went 'round and 'round on this subject last year. I asked
 you then, and will ask again today: how many Petrofs have you serviced, and
 how long ago did you service them?

 The other question I have to ask is directed at Petrof, and I will call them
 to ask. Are the Petrofs shipped to Europe, and particularly to Norway,
 different from those sent to the USA? I ask that because I just cannot see
 the problems you are describing.

 Willem

I serviced a Petrof Upright today, though I do not think it is 52".  She
purchased it new about 3 years ago. I pitched raised and fine tuned, and
except for the killer octave which had some false beats, it tuned rather
nice. I believe some of the falseness is at the termination points.  I
noticed that the action was poorly regulated with the strike distance sitting
at almost 2".  By raising it to 1 3/4 inches I believe it will create a
better aftertouch.  The damper spoons were not well regulated, most dampers
not lifting soon enough, causing some of the travel to be too close to the
strings, not allowing a good tone.  The pin torque was good and even.

I believe the problems exist due to negligence by either the factory or the
dealer.  If proper dealer prepping takes place, I would not find the problems
at the customers house.  She likes the piano and the way it plays but also
after showing and explaining how I could improve it, she will most likely
have me do it by next summer.

Next week I am tuning a Petrof Grand.  I would let you know how it goes.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR