Rebuilding grands...Clark

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 21:57:16 -0400

Hi Clark,

If you'll permit me to be a little nosey...

How much work did you estimate for this one?  Complete rebuild?  =
Recondition?  Are you planning on a new board?  Recap bridges?  =
Pinblock?  Much action work?  (Don't you hate it when they've been =
"stylized"?! Yuck!!)  Refinish?

Wow, 5 ribs.  That's a few less than one would expect.  10 would be a =
lot closer to what I might expect to be reasonable.

A few years back, I did a fair bit of shimming and such... until I put =
in my first new soundboard.  Now I'm spoiled.  That nice clean fresh =
look of a new soundboard with new bridges and new ribs... kind of warms =
my heart to think about it.  And the sound... pardon my waxing =
rhapsodic... (If I had to do a belly on one of these, I think I would =
make some changes as to number and dimension of ribs.  But as to design =
and such,  I won't even try to give advice.  I'm just taking baby steps =
myself.)

I'm a little curious.  When you re-rib a board, do you remove the board =
from the piano?  Or do you do it while the board is still in the case?  =
The reason I ask is because I've never been able to get a board out of a =
piano without pretty serious damage to the board.  I don't take 'em out =
unless I'm replacing them. =20

One last bit of nosiness... if I may be so bold as to ask,  what general =
area did the estimate come in at??

I know, I know, ... questions, questions.

I'm really curious!  :-)   Oh, I thought of one more...(I don't think =
anyone's going to have a heart attack from the surprise...)  What part =
of the country are you from?  I don't recall if I've heard.?  Since =
we've been talking about geographics and demographics.?

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net
=20