Choosing a Temperament

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 20:43:18 -0100

Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:

> But what I have shown you is about the one and only thing that you can do
> besides tuning in strict ET.  That is the limitation of the guitar.  You
> cannot do any and all other kinds of temperament schemes.

Bill,

Yes and no; I haven't got a guitar available to try out your tuning, but I have
applied a larger range of temperaments.

However, these can take some doing, modifications of the instrument either
temporary or permanent, and different playing techniques - all appropriate to a
different list.

ps. There is a nice book about temperaments on fretted instruments, Lutes, Viols,
and Temperaments by Mark Lindley. (from
http://www.panix.com/~ro/tuning/Hutchinsom.bib):

"An exposition of historical evidence from the 16th- to the mid-
   18th century. Equal temperament is shown to have been the norm
   for fretted instruments, with some use of meantone and other
   systems in individual cases. A short cassette tape is available
   separately from the publisher."

Clark