New Petrof 52" upright"

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 10:48:09 +0200

Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 8/9/99 4:20:24 PM !!!First Boot!!!, mjmc@ibm.net writes:
>
> << Hi List,
>
>    Has anyone seen, heard, played a new Petrof upright? I have a customer
>  considering trading her Young Chang F116 (46" console) and the dealer is
>  trying to talk her into the Petrof at a price of ~ 9k which looks like
>  the  retail price of a 52" upright in Ancott.
>
>  Thanks!!
>
>  Mike
>  --
>  Mike McCoy
>  So Central Pa Chapter 170 >>
>
> I have sold several of these, and the customers who are buying them tell me
> they play and sound better than the Baldwin and Yamah studios.
>
> Willem Blees

This goes around and around. Its the same over here. Petrofs are very popular
exactly because the make an good impression "soundwise",  whatever their flaws
are otherwise. They do not play particularly well. One has to remember that for
most folks, if the sound makes them smile, the rest of the piano is of course
wonderfull.

A Petrof does fine for most people, but from a technical point of view they are
perhaps one of the easiest to pick apart and snuff your nose at. And I snuff at
them all the time. Perhaps because they do have a decent enough sound. It seems
to me that its a shame that they dont take care to use better materials, and
insure better workmanship. They probably could make good piano if they did so.

My point is, if you are a tech and get asked about a Petrof, be aware when
looking over one, that bridge pins are most often sloppy, workmanship and
quality of material on the pinblock is often shoddy, and the action is poorly
put together. (on several notes typically you can hit just a bit past a medium
soft blow and the hammer start getting jammed off to one side) There are other
problems with them as well, but I do not feel competent enough to speak on
matters such as beams and ribbing, etc, so I will leave that to others.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway