dented piano wireOFF LIST

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 22:55:24 -0500 (CDT)

>Yes.  But it also takes away critical support right at the top of the pin.
>I do like horizontally laminated bridge caps, however.
>
>Del

Yep, there's the trade off, which brings up another point. There's been a
lot of discussion, written and otherwise, about notching techniques and
standards, but I don't recall anyone stating what they considered an optimum
radius, or cut angle, where the notch and bridge top form the string
termination. Everyone notching by hand seems to do it about... like so, give
or take a little. Is there an actual standard here? I've checked a number of
production machine notched bridges, old and new, and the cutter diameter
seems to be about the size of a quarter for most of them, with the notch
relief angle (?) being dependent on the depth of cut. Since you're the only
guy I know who's built one of these for shop use, can you tell us what
cutter size(s) you're using?

Ever the pest,
 Ron N