dented piano wireOFF LIST

nicho@roadrunner.com nicho@roadrunner.com
Mon, 09 Aug 1999 17:11:12 -0600

At 06:04 PM 8/8/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Many of you have noticed when destringing a piano that the indentation of
>the string marks on the bridge surface is deeper near the bridge pins than
>at the middle of the bridge. You have also noticed that the indentation
>usually extends out beyond the tangency with the bridge pins.

OFFLIST PRIVATE DUMMY QUESTION:
Whoa. Brain bubble, Dr. Jim....
	I remember seeing something about why we don't cap with a slight convex,
years ago. But... why not a very slight concave? Linear, of course, perp to
the wire, and probably... oh.... on an arc of less than 10 degrees relative
to the width of the top of the bridge. 'Course, that would get wierd where
the bridge pin distance varies, like around the tenor/treble breaks,
but.... wouldn't it help? Especially on the more stable, (like vertically
laminated) bridge caps?

Who knows? I don't. Just a thought.

SeeYa,
Guy